Sunday, July 13, 2014

Thoughts From the Summer Grounds

Madame M:

When I checked out War and Peace, which had to be ordered from another library, the librarian was tickled/delighted and all smiles.

Tolstoy was also a famous vegetarian who, so the story goes, responded to a visiting upper class relative’s demand for chicken by tying a live chicken and a knife to her chair.

You would mention blueberries, not only my favorite berry but my favorite fruit!

Earlier this evening I ate outdoors at a restaurant and did some typing and reading on my laptop.  I ordered green tea because this particular Chinese restaurant has a quite exquisite kind of high-mountain organic green they get from the mainland.  The waiter, who was not Asian, remarked that I was a “brave” man to drink hot tea in the summer.  The look on his face conveyed that he actually thought I was “nuts,” but diplomacy (and a desire for a tip) kept him in the diplomatic sphere.

Of course, the tea was so good that I had not just one pot, but two.

Which has now given me insomnia.

Which is why this post is getting posted when it is.

Actually, after eating, I spent little time on the computer, but a lot of time instead sipping tea, watching people, and thinking.  Chinese monks were famous for sipping copious amounts of green tea, for its simultaneous calming and mental sharpening properties that allowed them to meditate for long periods.

I could see why.  The serenity and clarity after two pots of good green tea were amazing.  I have thought about many things, including your words about clutter and the material flotsam of life.  And I’ve also thought about how much I don’t like working in the summer.  At my core, I’ll always be a summer months off fellow, lol.

Speaking of thinking, did you see the experiment they did?  They gave people time alone with their thoughts in a spare room.  The people could, at any time, hit a button which would deliver an electric shock to them.  Most people, within a few minutes, pressed the button.


What, in your view, is that saying?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...