Sunday, July 6, 2014

Read Alongside

Madame:

It has been decades (jiminy, has it really been so long?) since W&P was read by me during my LT fascination period.  I have forgotten many specifics.  I believe I will read along.  I will not comment until you comment though (if I am ahead, I don’t want to be perceived as prodding, and if I am behind, I will be spurred to catch up!).  I will have to go secure my own copy though (or get one from the library).

There are a few other things of summer that I may not have mentioned in detail:

The bonfires of summer.

Swimming, skiing, boating, paddleboating, canoeing, floating, tubing.  Lots of "ings."

And fireworks, and the joy on kids’ faces (at least when done safely!).

And lightning bugs above the corn.

Blue hazy moons.

Strong breezes to keep the bugs away.

And no one feels any strong burden or responsibility to cook—any that is done is usually by the on-the-scene grillers!

Of course, the just passed July 4th holiday prompted me to think and appreciate.  It seems to me to be the only true holiday that Americans ever nearly completely relax. 

Ever notice how that relaxation is deeper and more satisfying when July 4th is on a Friday or Saturday?  When people can celebrate with a bit more abandon and less care and concern about getting up the next day?  That they seem to get more enjoyment (not to mention more rest and relaxation) by having it be on a Friday or Saturday?  It’s never been clear to me what genius thought that Monday was a good day to have holidays. 


All this is fitting into my continued refinement of thoughts and words on National Independence Week.  I may discuss more with you privately, but I believe I am ready to splash it onto the national stage fairly soon.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...