Sunday, July 20, 2014

Greek Connections AND Forget Chromosomal Differences, There Go Us

Madame M:

I have a patio.  It just doesn’t get much direct sunlight.  Would that work?

What a wonderful hummingbird experience!  The beings of nature seem drawn to one who is symbiotic with their interests.  My daughter has similar experiences.

I traveled to DC again, in July, again.  But this time it was on business, so I have no photos like last year.  I did however observe a woman every morning at breakfast at the hotel.  While the rest of the people around her were engrossed in gorging themselves, she was sipping tea or coffee and reading a book.  There was usually a half eaten container of yogurt near her.  On the last day of the trip, I asked her what she was reading.  She held up a book with D.H. Lawrence as the author and some writing I couldn’t read.  

“It’s in Greek,” she said in an accent.  “Uhm, how do you translate…’The Lover of Lady Chatterly,’” she continued.  Ah, Lady Chatterly’s Lover, I replied, very good.  Enjoy, I said, and walked to my shuttle, not saying what I was thinking, that I suspect it’s a bit more robust than 50 Shades of Grey (which is snobbish to think, and a bit unfair, given that I haven’t read either).

DC is still consumed with itself, if you’re wondering.  Such a skewed and self-created and self-referential world in so many cases!

You know those airline magazines?  I always read through them and see if they have interesting things.  I picked up a phrase out of one:  “Stay long enough to go slow.”  It was from a young couple, traveling through, as coincidence would have it, Greece.  They felt rushed and exhausted while they did all of the usual sights.  Then they talked to a local guide, and he gave them the philosophy just espoused, and also some suggestions on how to do that.  They did, enjoying a view that the locals do, at night.  And a beach they picked out all by themselves, that they had essentially all to themselves.  They enjoyed the pace and contemplation much more.  And, even, came to understand and feel just a small part of what it is to value as a Greek.

May I recommend a movie?  Dawn of Planet of the Apes.  It is rare that I agree with a wide range of movie critics, and rarer still that I give a movie an A-.  But I agree with them that the movie has intelligence, emotional resonance, timeless insight and wisdom, and conveys the tragically self-destructive limitations that are the result of legacies from injustice.

My daughter has inherited her father’s love of summer, and unenthusiasm for school to start up again.  Apparently, she grinds at the thought of class blocks of 1.5-2 hours, where she has to drone along at the slowest swimmer’s pace.  Except for Mandarin class.  As one of the few Caucasians in it, she’s one of the slower swimmers, lol.

Back to the movie.  Did you see where a zoologist took two chimps to a screening of the above movie?  They apparently understood the movie very well, and followed who were the villains and who were the good folks.  Some fellow movie goers were concerned, however, that they chimps would get ideas. 


Fear. Fear is a theme in so much of the movie, but the irony was apparently lost on them.   From Thucydides (a Greek!) to now, things just haven’t changed all that much! 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...