Sunday, January 29, 2012

Positively My Turn at the Blogging Post!

Madame Most M:


To both agree and disagree with you, Madame!  :) While Hedges can seem a sort of dour chap (in that he doesn’t see a lot of tremendous hope), and perhaps he does dwell in the soul-sucking shadows a bit long, I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt.  That is, I am going to presume that his objective is to wake people up to reality, and get them to move in the direction of a non-illusional future.  I would think that in itself would be hopeful: legions of the newly awakened squaring their jaws, looking reality in the eye, and getting busy doing what they can to make a better one.

My erstwhile blog-colleague, why are you so “naturally resistant,” to the diatribe against positive psychology? Were you raised on a stream of Norman Vincent Peale,  Robert Schuller, Napoleon Hill, Zig Ziglar, and other positively motivational speakers (none of whom, to my limited knowledge, set out to use positive psychology for strictly selfish or twisted purposes, and many of whom to the contrary apparently had much good effect)?

“Oh yeah, all this positivity is bad for us.”  I guess I don’t follow you, Mad M (permit me my tongue-in-cheek play on words!)  Did Hedges-san imply that to your reading eyes?  Did he, does he, seek to “arouse the people with glaring messages of hopelessness”?  I thought his message is that the PRESENT SYSTEM is hopeless (and thinking it can be changed is in his view a hopeless wish as well), and the newly aroused will have to fashion a different one.  But I see some of your point (gained in watching interviews and talks by him) that he is not overly concerned with efficacy in efforts, and indeed sees little chance of effecting much in the short to intermediate term, but only in registering protest and ripples that will implant the seeds for long-term change. 

Your comments about depression prompt me to wonder if some of that is by design.  That is, does the system seem so rotten and unchangeable, so complex and soul-numbing, as to breed depression by partial design?  Because depression enfeebles or prevents ACTION.   And the masters of the system don’t want action by the overwhelming majority—at whatever percentage that majority defines itself! ;)

You speak sense when you say that positive psychology can be beneficial, harmless, or malicious.  It is thus a tool, yes.  I think Hedges’ point is that it is a tool that has been too often manipulated by the powerful, and used to divert, enfeeble, and control people.   In that, we have, in too many instances, given ourselves over to the manipulations of the system—a system all too happy to use prescription drugs, unhealthy food and drink, and other “accepted” things—to the point where we do hear many people say they’re not sure what they’re feeling, or why.  That they can’t sort their lives out. And all along the way, the illusional siren calls of the culture are telling them to not worry, it’s mind over matter, or mind over situation, or following your favorite sports team will give your life meaning and get you back on track, or any of a number of things which aren’t the reality of people’s lives.  Dave Marsh is fond of saying that he doesn’t put faith in political figures, because they aren’t his reality, aren’t that important to him personally, that he is much more interested in the people he directly knows, and the changes he and they can effect.  Interesting view that I’m not sure I entirely agree with, but at least he is consciously divorcing himself from the celebrity/politician/sports figure culture—and the obsession thereof.

As for the illusion of happiness and positive thinking being hard to pull off, I don’t disagree, but I do disagree with you that the author’s concern is excessive.  We have at least a large minority, and probably a majority, in this culture who believe that what happens to people, and how their lives turn out, is almost entirely “their own fault” (read the arrogant dismissiveness in that sentiment).   I do believe in personal responsibility (and I think it’s the right societal belief), yet I also understand all too well the interconnectedness of so many things about this system (which is, as you’ve pointed out, stacked against the average person in many/most respects).   This system uses up the individual Boxers (“I will work harder”; remember your Animal Farm?) among us in droves.  And we know what happened to him!

Well, pooh, twitter-twatter, and bother, Madame!  I’ve used up (and then some) my five paragraphs I’m trying to hold my postings to, and I haven’t proceeded beyond responding to yours, lol.  Will try again next week, P&H fans! :)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...