Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Summer Reading Challenge

 I was going to write about summer reading, which is usually light for most people. I love walking the beach or around the pool to see what everyone is reading (or I used to, thanks, Kindle). I was once on a cruise and saw a teen age boy reading Moby Dick which amused me. So while I was thinking about this summer reading idea a headline caught my attention the other day on the Huffington Post: 7 Reasons Why You Should Give War and Peace a Chance.  

This has been on my list for years but haven't had the tome (Freudian slip) time to get around to it. The reasons in the article seem like good ones, but those 600 (!) characters mean that I'll be reading it on my Kindle. That tapping on a name and being reminded what part the character is playing in the story might be helpful (Thanks, Kindle...no, really this time). Especially if I don't get long stretches of reading done at a time. As you've pointed out summer poses lots of distractions.


So I read that article and that's when I remembered. A few years ago in an antique shop I'd picked up a copy. But not any copy.


 A closer look reveals something astonishing about the book.


It was printed in 1942 and the end cover of the book outlines the German army's advance.








Old books thrill me in a way a Kindle never will. Texture. Color. Heft.


So I'll let you know how this is going from time to time. I may perhaps want to discuss...just a bit, not enough to detract from our light summer mood, I promise!

Spring and fall are my favorite seasons, mainly because I like beginnings and endings. 

Summer isn't my favorite season for many reasons, here are a few:

Ticks.

Mosquitos.

Walking into spider webs.

Ungodly heat.

Matching humidity, here in the south.

The stearing wheel when you get in the car.

Not being able to make any stops after the grocery.

The bone chilling artificial cool of restaurants and theaters (yes, I realize I pointed out the heat and humidity earlier).


Things I don't mind about it, maybe even like: 

Everyone isn't constantly talking about the cold they just got over or are fighting.

I don't have to look for my gloves when I stop to get gas.

Sitting on the porch.

Not keeping a carload of hats and scarves for walking. 

Farmers' markets.

Backyard fresh fruits and vegetables.

The garden in the morning.  

Happy chickens and bees.

Watching the bees come and go from the hives in the late afternoon is a thing of beauty, wonder, and amazement.

Okay, fine. And this...

A porch swing where I intend to get a lot of reading done.


2 comments:

troutbirder said...

Indeed, What fun. I do have several books post Civil War era I inherited from my Grandmas attic...:)

Michelle @Pen and Hive said...

Troutbirder, I hope you have given those books a thorough going over. One of the things I love about old books are inscriptions. Little messages from the past or the occasional flower of four leaf clover tucked deep inside. The covers from around the turn of the century also qualify as little works of art and often make my heart skip a beat. Thanks for reading and sharing.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...