Wednesday, October 29, 2014

A Rambly Return



Professor J,

I never worry about you running out of things to say in my absence. When I return home I'm always interested to see how you've used your extra posting opportunity.

I needed a little get away. It's been quite a year. Or two. Or three. My body didn't need nearly the rest that my mind did. A break from everyone's crisis du jour complete with sun, salt water, and sand was just what the proverbial doctor ordered. Another benefit (and reason that people feel better at the beach) is that all that time bare footed in the sand is having a physical effect. You can read about grounding or earthing and the research that is ongoing here. Another example of how our modern lives, spent disconnected from nature, are causing us harm. Being deficient in vitamin D is another. That's before we even get around to the atrocious American diet and lack of exercise, both of which also generally improve seaside but anyplace would have the same effect if we would pay attention to those things.

So I can't help but wonder if it isn't just the time off to relax that is making everyone so happy on their vacations, but a lot of physical factors at work like the effect of increased sunlight, an adjusted circadian rhythm, and an improved diet. You know, in addition to being away from your boss who may be a jerk and the stress of commuting.

I liked that in your last post you actually presented us with things to say that might make a difference. I've used many of those and in lots of situations it actually does help. I've had a few times when I took a stand feeling awkward and alone only to have people come to me later and say "I'm so glad you spoke up." or "I felt the same way but wasn't going to say anything." (Things are really bad if I have to be the brave one.) We discount our small efforts but all change starts small. Thanks for reminding us to be persistent and courageous.

Someone posted this great clip from the old show, Roseanne and it just seemed so timely.
Next time a politician comes to the door I'm going to offer to walk with him!


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...