Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Timing is Everything

Professor J,

Your plan does have some details that would need to be worked out. Not because they are impossible however but because we have become so use to having everything we want at the exact moment we want it. I can clearly remember my father gassing up the car on Saturday and my mother going to the grocery because things weren't open on Sunday. Everything wasn't closed of course, but enough things that people had to think ahead a bit and plan accordingly. No one complained about it, it's just the way things were.

Today, we're without those restful Sundays for people to rely on anymore, because not only is everything open, but overworked and time starved parents have to use every available moment to accomplish a great many things on their days off. And often those days are jam packed with activities for over scheduled children. In addition to all that, the stigma of using Sundays in such a way is gone. Now I think that's great when I'm the one out shopping for something I need but that cultural discomfort about it protected us in a way. You are correct in pointing out that your Independence Week will need us to "make it socially/culturally boorish to talk about or do work then—sort of a social anathema."

Last Saturday some neighbors organized a neighborhood meet and greet. They sent out flyers and grilled out for the entire neighborhood. I met people I'd only ever waved to in passing. I found out a few other people nearby have chickens and met a woman who is keen to get into beekeeping. The conversation was full of the general questions about why we hadn't done this before and how enjoyable the sense of community was. Of course I thought about your idea for a week of such events. In smatterings of conversation throughout the afternoon people talked about how hard they worked and how little vacation they got (I wonder if the French know how completely jealous Americans are of them?).

People are absolutely ready for an idea like yours.

Another common theme I heard brought up was how tired people are of their "things." Once again I found myself among a group of people working toward embracing simplicity, sustainability, and the idea of living a "good life" as opposed to the good life. Later in the week a workman was here and while we chatted the same topics arose. I keep hearing the same ideas among groups of people and no longer just among my friends or in items I read. Still may be a bit skewed for many reasons but I'm beginning to think it's a trend.

You keep working on your idea. The time may be more right than you realize.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...