Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Changing the World with Nothing

Professor J,

I vote for National Independence Week since it would be linked to the 4th of July. You totally had my number my mentioning not making it a week of projects. Though there is a huge difference between people scurrying to get things done with any leisure time they have, like the husband you mentioned, and those of us who are in our zone when restoring a piece of furniture or planting a garden. I have noticed, as I'm sure you have, that home improvement stores have linked every 3 day weekend to projects around the house. Labor Day maybe, but Memorial Day and Easter?

A week of no expectations and no work while socially recharging would be sure to increase productivity. Many of the things our work saturated culture is fond of are actually counter productive (literally). People are recharged after a brief 20 minute nap but can you imagine trying to catch some sleep at work? Several studies show that teenagers need more sleep and for it to go on later in the morning, but what do we do? Have them waiting for school buses before the sun comes up. Healthier employees get more done and are better problem solvers but let's keep them stressed and overworked and then use fear as a management technique.

Simon Sinek gave a great short TED Talk about how great leaders inspire by making others feel safe.

I recently did a silent retreat which I shared about extensively on my blog. I was so completely relaxed that I learned quite a few things. But one thing I realized is that vacations are often not all that relaxing due to the fact that we try to cram too much in. We want to have every experience, see every site, wearing ourselves out along the way. How often have you heard "I need a vacation from my vacation?"

Can you imagine how much actual work would get done in that first week back from our week of socializing? While everyone loves getting away and taking a break, doing it seems to fuel a desire to get things done upon return. I think it would fuel production and creativity.

The link you shared about a family celebrating a week of holidays was interesting. But it exhausted me. There seemed to be a lot of planning and shopping ahead of time to plan for all those things. Good luck finding Valentines in July. I like your idea better. Catching up with friends we keep meaning to see but are too busy for and just being together with family.

On your blog you mention the fact that it generally takes a funeral to get everyone together. Even under sad circumstances we see what we've been missing and make promises to do better. To get together soon. To see each other more often. But the flowers haven't even wilted before we go back to our daily grind of being too busy to do the things we know are good for us.

Let's make plans instead of promises.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...