Wednesday, January 29, 2014

What Do You Think?


Professor J,

I'm having one of those weeks where certain ideas that I've been focused on seemed to converge in a whirlpool of information and experience. Do you ever get the feeling the universe wants you to understand something now?

I've been thinking about, well...thinking. Your last post pointed out, to some extent,  how the lack of it weakens and divides. And as you've alluded to many times, it is often the people who have spent the least amount of time giving deep thought to anything who are the ones who are the most sure of their opinions and beliefs.

I'm reading John Maxwell's new book, Thinking for a Change. I like the title's double entendre. Maxwell can usually be relied upon for good advice in the motivation and leadership departments, but I was intrigued with the skills he's promoting:

1. Acquire the wisdom of big-picture thinking - does my thinking extend beyond me and my world
2. Unleash the potential of focused thinking - concentrate to find clarity on the real issues
3. Discover the joy of creative thinking - get out of the box and find break through thinking
4. Recognize the importance of realistic thinking - does my thinking have a solid mental foundation
5. Release the power of strategic thinking - is my thinking leading to plans for today that help me reach my potential tomorrow
6. Feel the energy of possibility thinking - possibility thinking can help you find solutions to even the difficult problems
7. Embrace the lessons of reflective thinking - am I revisiting the past to gain understanding and learn from what happened
8. Question the acceptance of popular thinking - am I rejecting the limitations of common thinking
9. Encourage the participation of shared thinking - am I engaging others to expand and sharpen my thinking
10. Experience the satisfaction of unselfish thinking - am I considering others and their needs
11. Enjoy the return of bottom-line thinking - am I staying focused on results


*copied from a reviewer's post 

While I've been reading this book other things have come to mind. First, our ability to control our thoughts and actually change our brains by doing so. Buddhist monks, for example show an amazing capacity for empathy and compassion when studied, proving that indeed "as a man thinks, so he is." Read the article about one such study here: This Buddhist Monk is the World's Happiest Man My daughter and I recently discussed after our yoga class that it never occurs to us during our practice to hold any negativity or ill will toward anyone. Yet I've heard many Christians condemn yoga and meditation as dangerous (for unclear reasons).

Might the  knowledge of the mind's power be why Christians are admonished to do the following?

"...be renewed in the spirit of your minds." Eph. 4:23

"... whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things." Phil. 4:8

"Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect" Rom. 12:2

Studies have shown that the self talk we engage in can greatly affect our behavior, the difference between saying "I can't eat that" and I don't eat that" for instance. Here's an article about the study: The Amazing Power of "I Don't" vs. "I can't."

Hopefully Maxwell's book will attract lots of readers (and doers also). We can't change the entire world overnight but we can start with our own thoughts and self talk.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...