Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Owning Up

Professor J,

Welcome back to the land of the living. ;)

So out of oblivion this week comes Glenn Beck.  I never really got his humor on the radio, though I loved him on CNN Headline News when he had a unique talk show. Then he moved to FOX where they gave him free rein to do whatever he liked and at first I was still a regular viewer. He promoted learning more about our history and asked a lot of questions that were pertinent in the beginning. As time went on his theories on things got...well, a little unhinged.

 One day he was showing a clip of President Obama saying something that sounded sinister. He showed the same short (maybe 5 seconds) clip repeatedly during the show. I went online and found the speech from which the clip was taken and the clip being shown over and over completely misrepresented the tone of the entire speech. I'll admit I stuck with him an embarrassing length of time after that. He finally lost me when the daily chalk boards outlined conspiracies of one kind and then another.

Then there was his incendiary language. Which in this recent interview he says he now regrets and admits to being part of the problem and says " “I think I played a role, unfortunately, in helping tear the country apart and it's not who we are.”


Only thanks to him and others like him, it is who we are now. 

 He's sorry looking back, but the damage has been done--and the money has been made (wink). But I'll give him some credit for realizing the amount of damage he's done and showing remorse. I doubt we'll see such introspection from the likes of Ann Coulter or Rush Limbaugh who have legions of loyal fans who have bestowed upon them celebrity status and made them fortunes.

Fear and loathing, not searching for common ground and solutions,  is what keeps you atop the best sellers list and makes you a popular talk show guest.  And why mess with success, no matter the cost?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...