Wednesday, February 11, 2015

This Little Light

Professor J,

Last night I watched the movie, Gentleman's Agreement. If you haven't seen it it's shocking to watch American antisemitism portrayed shortly following WWII. The film was released in 1948 and confronts prejudice among people who think themselves just a little bit better (or perhaps a lot) than other groups. It shines a light on subtle discrimination as well as name calling and violence. It depicts in a gut wrenching way the reservation that simply can't be found or the hotel manager suddenly realizing that there isn't a vacancy after all.

Yesterday's news of the death of Kayla Mueller is on my mind. Though it probably was carried out some time ago, it is to her family and the world as if it did just happen. What a life of compassion and service to others. I love that the global community is exhibiting an appreciation for her sacrifice for the good of others not just in death but in life. We see the pictures of her smiling face as she sought to make a difference and we feel small.

What are we doing?

Then tonight I turn on the news to hear of the tragic and senseless killing of 3 Muslims in Chapel Hill by an Atheist neighbor. And I wonder again...

what are we doing?

I just finished reading I Am Malala about the Pakistani girl who was shot by the Taliban. Draped in her pink headscarf on the cover her fearless smile reminds us that evil doesn't always win. That there are  ways to be part of the solution. That a cause like education for girls can change the lives of people. I added the picture at the top of Mother Theresa and the Dalai Lama as a reminder of what can be when we transcend the small hatefulness that abides in us and can spew out so easily. Great spiritual leaders are good reminders that there is another way.

What are we doing?

We are currently having an exhibit of Civil Rights photography at the museum where I volunteer. The title of the exhibit is This Little Light of Mine. Apparently that song was instrumental during the 50s and 60s among civil rights protesters and it brought home an important point during sit ins and marches. This little light of mine. Not the collective we or us where we can get lost and think no one will miss our voice or think that if we don't participate someone else will bring about needed change. My light. My speaking up. My standing up. My personal protest. My stance against injustice. In other words...

What am I doing?


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...