Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Connecting the Drops



Professor J,

Over the weekend I had some time off after either caring for my mother or clearing my schedule to be on call for her for all of this month and part of last. After a delicious lunch (grilled veggie wrap and side salad) we ran into some acquaintances and went for cocktails at a fairly new restaurant known for its signature drinks and craft beer menu. After studying the menu and the woman next to me ordered a Diet Coke and vodka. I asked her if she knew what the DC was sweetened with. She said she didn't and asked me if I was one of those "healthy people." When we ran into them she'd been smoking a cigarette and she'd already made mention of her fried dinner. She then said "You have to die of something you might as well enjoy it."

If I had a dime for every time I ever heard my mother say that. I'd had a couple of drinks already (and was feeling especially bold) so I asked her if she'd like to visit my mom in the nursing home to see where that kind of thinking is going to land her.  Oddly, she declined. ;)

Something I'm keenly aware of currently is just how much all of our "personal" decisions affect other people. Whenever I hear anyone say "I'm not hurting anyone" I very often now think of all the ways that just isn't true. We pick up the tab in various ways for other people's behavior. We all pay for those who don't handle their finances, addictions, or their health. And often someone is paying an emotional price for someone else justifying their actions with that kind of thinking.

And while we are discussing how our choices affect others in ways we may not think of, you paint a chilling picture of the water situation. I have been thinking of this very thing recently after reading an article about the organization Matt Damon is involved with, Water.org. This site focuses on the need for clean water in areas of the world where clean drinking water is scarce. The number of deaths as well as the time spent by women trying to collect water for their families is staggering.

The issues you raise about the privatization of water supplies in developed countries is sinister instead of just unfortunate. And you are right, the amount of water used for the things you outline is truly shocking. I was also surprised to find out with a little research that not only are corporations buying up water sources but that cash strapped cities and towns are selling their water/sewer systems as well.

I have heard Rush Limbaugh actually wonder aloud on his show during the healthcare debate, what would be next--saying food is a basic human right? Can water be far behind? And in addition to educating people about the dangers of water being privately owned what other measures can people take? A local diet? Giving up red meat and bottled water?

Interesting in just the couple of things I've listed how many solutions would benefit both the environment and the  health of citizens.  Living well and mindfully would benefit our own health, the environment, and our communities.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...