Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Blame Game

Professor J,

Interesting point you make about the partial shut down breeding contempt for the law and law makers. There are always lots of unintended consequences, aren't there?

My main concern is the way we are being viewed around the world. I cannot even imagine what other countries must think of us. Nothing about it paints us in a positive light. And lend us money? We look a bit unstable financially and mentally. What would happen if China were to decide, for instance, that we didn't look very reliable and they'll just take their money on the debt now, thank you very much? 

Disconcerting.

I think your colleague has figured out the game. If Social Security checks stopped and airports closed this would be a much briefer discussion. Middle aged couples threatened with making room for mom and dad because they are suddenly without income would instantly put these politicians in their place. But as you point out in your post the majority of things that actually affect people in the immediate future are running along giving the impression that lots of things are "unessential."

When did this brand of brinksmanship replace statesmanship?  I was wondering about this (though not exactly in those words) when I came across an article in the Harvard Business Review addressing just that. In Understanding the Game Being Played in Washington, the author uses game theory to help us understand what's going on. I found it very interesting, but I sense you may want to nitpick a thing or two about it. I haven't a clue where I would ever get that idea. ;)

And what does this say about our country? Today a citizen took it upon himself to mow the lawn at the Lincoln Memorial. Police watched him from a distance before asking him to leave, which he did without incident. I suspect he'll be making the morning show rounds in a day or two. I'd like to think he was doing it to be helpful, though in the sad world we now find ourselves in it's likely to advertise his lawn service or to launch a not well thought out political career. (Oh, my. I sound cynical don't I?) He didn't seem to be hurting anything and helping, no matter his motives--so why was he asked to leave? Probably because he was making our public "servants" in Washington look bad.

As if they need any help with that. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...