Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Where to Next?

Professor J,

Per your request we now have a "travel" label. I feel so much better. :)

Jealous, jealous, jealous about the entire Spy Museum venture. Those museums with interactive possibilities are such fun, provided there is no age limit (stupid Jedi Training Camp at Disney Hollywood).  The WWII Museum in NOLA has a new interactive submarine experience my husband and friends did on our last trip. Of course that museum also has another great interactive experience I like: a bar.

Do you remember a Spy show on PBS a few years back? It was like Survivor for James Bond wannabees. Besides the Amazing Race it was the one reality show I thought I might like to apply for. Such skills seem handy things to know.

Am I the only reader thinking what a talented and accomplished family this is? Am I the only one who thinks these posts need at least a tad of photo journalism? Come on, Prof, one pic?

A week from today I'll be setting off on a historical Magical Mystery Tour. This travel label will get a few extra posts when I return, until then you'll have to regale the gang with even more of your summer exploits. But before that I wanted to throw out a couple of topics that may be worth discussing when the travel shine wears off. First, if you haven't heard about Dan Buettner of National Geographic and his Blue Zones project, here's the video:


And second, but along the same lines, is this article about research showing that the brains of Budhist monks who practice meditation have actually altered their brains in many positive ways: How You Can Train Your Brain to do the Impossible.  

Meditation has been a useful practice to me the past few months, so I was intrigued by the empathy and happiness connections.

These two subjects and the connections between them and many other things (which Buettner covers) fascinate me. What do you say? After a travel summer, how about a happy and healthy autumn? Barring any events that warrant discussion, of course.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...