Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Adventure of the (not so) Final Problem

Professor J,

I get to be Sherlock, don't I, Professor? LOL

Yes. Yes. I know. Very brief post last time. Good lesson for me there about putting my posting off to the last minute and realizing that I'm too exhausted to remember all the brilliant things I'd planned to say. Since I can't recall them let's just assume they were deep and profound. Probably the solutions to many of the world's problems.--Oh well. ;)

This inability to compromise, to listen, to find time to think deeply, to question one's own beliefs and opinions, to discuss without debating, to speak passionately without screaming, is one of our biggest problems, isn't it? It also keeps us from discovery. As Brian McLaren points out in his book, A New Kind of Christianity:  "...revelation occurs not in the words and statements of individuals, but in conversation among individuals and God..."

Which brings me to another point of yours...

I think you are on to something important with your idea, The Center for Listening and Connecting. I'd say that not feeling that we've  has been heard or understood is one of the bedrock problems we are facing. I suspect that it is the root of many things that morph into all kinds of behaviors and attitudes that plague society.

Above all else I would say that human beings want to be known (and loved for who we are once we are known). We desperately want someone to hear our story. We want our experiences and our emotions validated. That is a problem, though isn't it? As we've pointed out numerous times on this blog the lack of connection that people feel to one another is profound. For all our cool technology,  lots of people are awash in a sea of loneliness and disconnection.

Basically what you described with your idea sounds a lot like counseling and support groups. People generally don't reach out for that kind of help until their problems have spun out of control and they are on the verge of some great loss, if they haven't lost it all already. The benefits of being able to connect and feel heard might be great indeed if such a thing were available with no stigma attached. People with close friendships may not feel the need of it, but even then it might be very helpful when moving to a new city alone, or having something you were uncomfortable revealing. The lack of close friendships and the emotional safety that comes with them is weakening us as individuals and as a society. As we drift away from institutions, clubs, and organizations (outlined in Bowling Alone), the problem deepens.

Well, of course you know I don't have data on the hypothetical violent meditators. As I said, I'm sure it would go a long way in reducing the problem--but a universal solution? --for the human condition? Sadly I doubt it's possible.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...