Thursday, June 4, 2015

Transition Complete

Professor J,

One of our recurring themes on this blog has always been disconnection, you pointed out prime examples in your last post.

I can't help but connect all of that to this week's most publicized story, the introduction of Caitlyn Jenner on the cover of Vanity Fair. So much has been written and said about this over the last couple of days that I wasn't going to add anything, but then John Stewart pointed out that since Bruce Jenner has transitioned to identifying himself as female on the outside to match his inner self, society is really only going to care about how he looks. Watch it here.

Stewart's points about sexism and ageism for women in this country came on the heels of Maggie Gyllenhaal publicizing the fact that she was told that she was too old to play the love interest of a fifty-five year old man. She is thirty-seven. It says a lot (mostly about Hollywood but also about our culture). Well kept and healthy isn't enough, the standard is young. An impossible standard to maintain.

And as women we participate in this just like the working poor who vote against their own self interests.

When I see a woman with no makeup and gray hair I think that she's let herself go. When I pass a woman (especially if she's driving slowly) and see gray hair I make a snap judgement--old. This attitude makes my hair stylist very happy. Even though women may count their own value in terms of spiritual, intellectual, or professional strength trying to keep up the cultural standard still takes up a lot of time in the lives of most females.

It's a constant inner conversation and topic of discussion with friends. And it runs deep. Even if you know the model is Photoshopped. Even if you know she's twenty-two and they still felt the need to improve her. Even if you are feeling really good about yourself when you get in the checkout line. 
Am I too old to wear this? Is this a good color on me? Do my arms look saggy? (Okay, basically does anything look saggy?) Should I get Botox? Does this hundred dollar face cream work? Should I whiten my teeth? Should I lose ten pounds? Or twenty? Should I get a little nip/tuck? Who's going to think my body is sexy at this age? Am I too old for this hairstyle? Should I color my hair?

So welcome, Caitlyn, to the dizzying pressure and inner turmoil. And, poor thing, you are already sixty-five. I heard someone say you looked good for your age. Transition complete.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...