Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Stepping Off the Merry-Go-Round

Professor J,

The election is over. I voted and got some things I wanted. Not any decent candidates I could actually feel good about but I'll settle for wine in the grocery store. Finally.

Hopefully your state gave you more to work with. I understand what you were saying about getting involved in the primary process if you don't like the candidates but even then it is sometimes tough to cast a ballot for any of them. Yes, I'm whining. But I voted so I'm allowed, right? ;)

This morning a blogger friend of mine in Denmark posted this.


We discussed it a bit and she said that while it was good that the experiment had been done, the politicians "ignore the situation." She also said that there is a stigma attached to being unemployed and that people thought those collecting benefits just didn't want to work. Sounds familiar, doesn't it?

This is the first election I can remember where I haven't spent hours watching national coverage. I made a deliberate effort to focus on the things I'd actually be voting on. What was happening in other states or what this politician or that elected official had to say interested me not at all. It felt good. Today when I tuned in to see some results from across the country, it could have been two years ago, or four. It was all so redundant.

You may remember that I posted something similar a few month ago about my current news fast. At times I can feel a bit out of the loop, but a quick search online catches me up quickly and I can control how much opinion I take in as opposed to facts. No time or tolerance for rants, raised voices, and diatribes. It's freeing. Then this morning I was listening to a meditation course I'm working through and the professor listed various things under toxins we shouldn't be taking in (including alcohol, but who are we kidding?). He suggested a media fast because so much of all of what we see, hear, and read is negative or at least, mindless.

Practicing a political mindfulness feels so much better than what I use to do which was listen to all of it, get angry about it, yell at the TV, and argue with people who disagreed with me. Still looking for that balance of being properly informed, while guarding my sanity. But so far, like in other areas of my life, less is more is working quite well for me.



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...