Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Civics 101: Jury Duty

Professor,

This week found me fulfilling the civic duty of serving on a jury. I have a few observations.

This was my second summons. A few years ago I was chosen to serve on the jury for a criminal case, that experience took me through the entire process from jury pool to trial, deliberation, verdict (guilty), then more deliberation for sentencing. While everyone groaned and complained about being called, once the jury was chosen I recall that the attitude changed immediately. People who had made light of the process until then took the responsibility very seriously and everyone went to great pains to follow all of the rules to the letter. I have to say it was impressive how quickly any cavalier attitude about the system disappeared immediately when it came down to the trial. 

No one seems to like to be notified of their opportunity to serve in this way. Everyone complains. It means time off work, or away from home, and in my case the thing that bothered me the most about it was the requirement to sit for the entire day. Something I am not use to doing. But I reorganized my phone, deleted old emails, and read Wuthering Heights. By lunch time the diverse cross section of our city had broken some of the ice and were getting a bit chattier. Like voting, only more so, jury duty forces citizens to work together as a group if you are chosen. If not there is still a benefit from the "we're all in this together" mindset.

We were shown a video by Supreme Court Justice Roberts explaining how and why the system works and Sandra Day O'Connor outlining why the Founders believed in a jury of your "peers."

Around mid-afternoon we were called to the courtroom. I was in a group of 12 out of 40 to be questioned first. The judge determined if we had family members in law enforcement and if we'd ever been the victim of a crime or if we'd ever been arrested or convicted. Some of the answers from fellow potential jurors were funny like the young woman who explained she'd been arrested for having a "blunt" and thought the justice system had worked well for her since she didn't go to jail. Then there was the woman whose husband had been murdered by a 14 year old as part of a gang initiation. He'd received life in prison without parole, she hesitated when asked if the system had worked for her and finally said "Given the situation..."

After that the judge had a little chat with each of us as the microphone was passed around. I garnered attention for most unusual job with "beekeeper." Got two orders for honey at the break, one from a Cambodian man and fairly new citizen who was beaming throughout the day as he fulfilled his duty as a fellow citizen. I was excused with the rest of those 12 save 2 and free to go.

When I walked outside I realized just how miserable having been inside all day had felt. Particularly in the courtroom where there were no windows but fluorescent lighting and an atmosphere that was tense. I couldn't help but wonder if people are making the best decisions possible under those conditions. One of the great lessons of the day was just how much better we feel when we get to move and be exposed to natural light.

Advice for introverts: Take up beekeeping. You never have to think of anything original to say because you are too busy answering questions in social settings. :)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...