Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Where's the War?



Professor J,

It's supposed to be the most wonderful time of year. Elvis wondered, "why can't every day be like Christmas?"

What has happened since these songs were written? There is no sleeping in heavenly peace as people lie awake at night and wonder how they are going to afford all the things Santa will be bringing (hopefully we don't have any tiny disillusioned readers). It seems like everything from banking to grocery shopping feels like a marathon.

I'm beginning to think that the book Scroogenomics had more of an impact on me than I realized.

...and then there are the Christmas police. Thanks, O'Reilly. The fantasy War on Christmas drains a little more joy out of it every year. I use to hear cheerful voices wish each other a Merry Christmas, but now often when I hear it said by a customer in the check out line, it's said in an antagonistic voice. Behind the phrase is not the genuine blessing of someone else's holiday but a snideness worthy of Scrooge. A tone that seems to say "That's right. I said Merry Christmas and I hope you are offended, or feel guilty, or are ashamed of yourself for lowering yourself to a generic greeting."

I can't say I've ever been to a city where decorating for Christmas was banned. My local fire station has a manger scene as part of a larger display. But we are bombarded every year with the same trite "Keep CHRIST in Christmas" message. And do you really need a sticker that let's me know you say Merry Christmas. Um...when you say it I'll kind of know.

The same is true of the ambient knowledge floating around in Christian culture that kids aren't saying the Pledge of Allegiance in school anymore. I recently taught a class on bees and honey to an elementary class. I was there at the beginning of the day and heard it for myself complete with "under God" which people regularly rant about having been removed. The Pledge was followed by a moment of silence. Something I'm sure the teacher was most thankful for.

I've heard people for years lament how hard it is to find a card that says Merry Christmas. There are many complaints about the phrases Season's Greetings and Happy Holidays. A few years ago when I cleaned out an elderly relative's card collection I was surprised how often those phrases were used in the overly romanticized past. I found some examples from the 40s, 50s, and 60s:






 












 

So since the entire thing seems to be over reacting at best and pure concoction at worst, I have to ask with you, Prof, who benefits from it? 

In an article about a completely unrelated topic I found this quote:  "The Sapir-Whorf hypothesis states that the way you use language shapes your perception of the world."

Let that one sink in.  

Hmmm... I may have to stop talking about how exhausting the Christmas season is. I may be making my words a reality. And I just got off the phone with my daughter who said this: I heard that song today "It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year and I thought the most stressful time!" But that's probably just finals week talking.

Anyway, a most sincere and heartfelt Merry Christmas to all.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...