Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Next, I'm Going to Need a Sauna

Professor J,

The summer heat here in the south (which actually hasn't been too bad until this week) has me thinking of far away northern climes.  My interest has been less in politicians and pundits blowing hot air than in meditation and rebalancing myself after being buffeted by cross winds the last few months. You may have already noticed that. I've been being very kind to myself which sometimes has meant limiting my access to current events. Saving the world has been put on hold...



In my long reading list I ran across a book by an American business woman who gave up her hectic globe trotting lifestyle when she married a down to earth Swede. She outlines her new found awareness and appreciation for simplicity in her book, On My Swedish Island.  She outlines various aspects of "Scandinavian well being" such as outdoors and fitness, being green, relaxation, design for the home, and finding meaning. I was interested in what she had to say having been so impressed with nearly everything about the Nordic countries I visited on a Baltic cruise last year. There was something calm, orderly, and kind I just couldn't put my finger on. Even when I was reading this book, the essence of what made these places different was elusive. One thing that I found interesting in contrast to America, where property laws often amount to one big "no trespassing" sign was the concept of  Allemansrätt. It's a right of passage across land and sea that carries over from the Middle Ages. It roughly means that you have the right to cross another person's land (observing certain rules and basic rights of privacy of course). The "right to roam."

I love that.

Along with an understanding of how culturally important the sauna is and the appreciation the Scandinavians have for nature, their globally respected sense of design held a hidden clue about something they understand. In the chapter on home design and landscaping the author says that Swedes appreciate "the long view."

She was speaking of desiring to see a distant view from one's home and even within the home, trying to create a space where one could see as far as possible. Being able to see from one room into another is an important element of design to them. But I couldn't help thinking how well that particular phrase might sum up one of the main differences between the Scandinavians and us. It seemed to represent their ability to plan for the long term in areas we struggle with: savings, debt, the environment, community.

While I was wondering how to work a bit more of this thinking into my own life and surroundings (I'm already sleeping in a Scandinavian inspired bedroom) I ran across a couple of new products carried by Target. Skyr the traditional yogurt of Iceland, which has the heavenly texture of cream cheese, and filmjölk a drinkable yogurt by a company called Siggi's. The founder, someone who missed his Icelandic roots and set about to create traditional Nordic products just for himself.

Now...if I could just get that sauna...

:)


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...