Thursday, January 3, 2013

Fiscal Cliffs and Other Disasters

Dear Reader: The good professor is still unavailable for commentary. But just wait until he returns! I suspect he'll have much to say.

As you can see I am a day late posting. Am I the only one who is still looking at a Christmas tree in the living room? (Please say no) It has been denuded and now just looks depressing. As if the fiscal cliff debacle wasn't bad enough...

You may remember a few weeks ago when I listed some things we'd learned from the election and Hurricane Sandy. Here's an excerpt:

Governor Chris Christie is his own man. Known for his brashness and stubbornly sticking to his ideas, he gained a lot of credibility this week for having his priorities in place. An especially interesting explanation of his thinking was given in response to a silly question from Fox's Steve Doocy about whether or not Romney would get a photo-op touring the damage with the N.J. governor: 

“I have no idea, nor am I the least bit concerned or interested, I’ve got a job to do here in New Jersey that’s much bigger than presidential politics and I could [sic] care less about any of that stuff. I have a job to do,” he added. “I’ve got 2.4 million people out of power, I’ve got devastation on the shore, I’ve got floods in the northern part of my state. If you think right now I give a damn about presidential politics then you don’t know me.”

Since Obama's reelection Tuesday night Christie has been taken to task by commentators and radio talk show hosts for praising Obama's handling of the situation. Lou Dobbs referred to it as "slobbering over the president" and insinuated that it was a calculated move toward reelection in his predominately blue state.  He's being referred to by members of his own party as "Judas" and "traitor." Talk show host Laura Ingram said this week that it wouldn't surprise her if he became a democrat. Given how his party is treating him, who could blame him? 


Now here we are several weeks later, and I was pleased to see that this governor is continuing his lonely path of authentic leadership. In case you missed his most recent truth embracing speech, here's the video:


Kudos to the governor for calling it like he's sees it even when he's swimming upstream in his own party.  

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...