Thursday, November 8, 2012

The Perfect Election Storm

Professor J,

Just as I was breathing a sigh of relief that the election was over, one way or the other, I'll be darned if the pundits and prognosticators didn't start talking about what all this will mean for the NEXT election. No wonder no one can get around to governing, it would mean a break in campaigning. Why can't we stop selling and start solving?

I went to vote with my daughter who has more fun than anyone realizes is possible on election day. There was actually jumping up and down as we entered our precinct. And of course, the requisite photo was made for instagram. While I appreciated her enthusiasm, as a parent, fellow voter, and citizen I felt a pang of sadness that we aren't able to offer up candidates with ideas worthy of her excitement.  But now that the whole thing is over I'm thinking about some things we've learned in the last few days of the election, and from Hurricane Sandy:

Governor Chris Christie is his own man. Known for his brashness and stubbornly sticking to his ideas, he gained a lot of credibility this week for having his priorities in place. An especially interesting explanation of his thinking was given in response to a silly question from Fox's Steve Doocy about whether or not Romney would get a photo-op touring the damage with the N.J. governor: 


“I have no idea, nor am I the least bit concerned or interested, I’ve got a job to do here in New Jersey that’s much bigger than presidential politics and I could [sic] care less about any of that stuff. I have a job to do,” he added. “I’ve got 2.4 million people out of power, I’ve got devastation on the shore, I’ve got floods in the northern part of my state. If you think right now I give a damn about presidential politics then you don’t know me.”

Since Obama's reelection Tuesday night Christie has been taken to task by commentators and radio talk show hosts for praising Obama's handling of the situation. Lou Dobbs referred to it as "slobbering over the president" and insinuated that it was a calculated move toward reelection in his predominately blue state.  He's being referred to by members of his own party as "Judas" and "traitor." Talk show host Laura Ingram said this week that it wouldn't surprise her if he became a democrat. Given how his party is treating him, who could blame him? 


 In the midst of disaster no one cares that Anderson Cooper is gay. Night after night as AC stood out in the cold listening to the stories of residents rendered homeless by the storm I didn't see anyone ask him about his sexual orientation. People just wanted to be heard. They wanted their stories to be told. They wanted some help. They did not want their stories told by a straight anchorman/reporter. They wanted their stories by a human being. In matters of life and death it is striking how quickly silliness gets set aside.

Chris Mathews should not be allowed on air when sleep deprived, okay I'd argue he shouldn't be allowed on air ever, masquerading as an objective journalist. Just before the end of election coverage on MSNBC Mathews said, speaking in reference to the effect Sandy had on the election, “I’m so glad we had that storm last week because I think the storm was one of those things.” After an audible sound from co-anchor Rachel Maddow, who then put her hand on his arm as if to say "Please stop talking," he added,  “No, politically I should say. Not in terms of hurting people. The storm brought in possibilities for good politics.” Oh yes. Because of course loss of life and people's personal suffering is nothing compared to good political theater.

We didn't learn as much as we should have from Katrina. Federal, state, and local officials looked as if they could have had a better plan in place for such a densely populated area. But the main thing that shocked me (again) is the refusal of citizens to heed mandatory evacuation orders making the job of those who are trying to ensure the safety of residents, that much harder. If you don't evacuate after being told and you need to be rescued, I think you should be billed by the state for the cost of your bail out. 

Here's an article about just how much we didn't learn: Sandy Refugees Say Life In Tent City Feels Like Prison



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...