Wednesday, April 13, 2011

The Definite First Word on a Temporary Literary Diversion

Professor J,

"Possibly temporary last word"? Sounds so decisive!  ;)

The idea of happiness and what makes us happy (or what we think does) is one that fascinates me, especially as it relates to spending and accumulation. Sometimes it seems as if we understand so little about ourselves. The material things we "invest" in break, become obsolete, or we tire of them. Our experiences create memories, enrich our lives, and make us who we are.  I saw an interview with Ali MacGraw many years ago in which she talked of starting over and only taking her rugs (beautiful Southwestern ones) and her books. I loved that. Such freedom of spirit displayed in holding on lightly to things.


Having also suffered from both food poisoning and the flu I agree with you about Jordon. It seems a near super-human feat to me!

Switching gears from our recent discussion is more difficult than I thought except for the fact that so many of these ideas and topics are recurring themes on this blog. However,  I did see the words "...on to the wrap up" so I'm taking my cue and introducing a temporary diversion in novel form.

Our readers may be surprised (and perhaps relieved?) that in a bit of a departure for us a lovely piece of fiction is up for discussion: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. One of the most endearing books I've read in a very long time, I'm so glad you suggested it! I haven't read anything since that I've enjoyed as much. I had just finished it for the first time before leaving for Italy a couple of years ago and was recommending it to everyone. Good books are powerful, aren't they? Oh, but I'm working on the assumption that you appreciated it as well.

It is full of characters that I thought I'd like to know in real life, which is nice considering that in too much fiction I've read recently I find myself wishing the characters would drown themselves in the nearest river, either because they lacked any redeeming value or were just so poorly written.

 I like that it is written in the form of a series of letters; what an appropriate work for us to discuss on our similarly formatted blog. Truth be told, I liked nearly everything about it, and I learned a thing or two, always a nice bonus.

Well chosen. Now, you my friend, can begin the discussion in earnest. :)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...